Why Use A Record Center
According to ARMA (Association of Records Managers and Administrators) International, several reasons exist for finding value in using a record center for record storage and management services. ARMA International is a not-for-profit association with more than 10,000 members and is the leading authority on managing records and information.
According to ARMA, a record center provides safe and environmentally controlled security for inactive records for as long as their retention is required. Procedures are established to ensure that when a record is needed, it can be easily located, retrieved, used, and then safely returned to storage. When a record’s retention is no longer required, the record center staff follows correct destruction procedures for that record.
Using the record center:
- Provides maximum efficiency and use of space – five times as many records can be stored per square foot in a records center
- Provides orderly arrangement and control of records
- Employs procedures that ensure prompt and efficient handling of records, including fast and easy box and folder retrieval
- Provides physical security and protection against damage or destruction due to natural or other disasters
- Protects confidential records for unauthorized access
- Provides systematic legal disposition of records that have reached the end of their retention period
- Ensures that records are destroyed only with appropriate authorization
Learn more about ARMA International at: www.arma.org